Saraki Reveals Why He Is Facing Prosecution


In a statement released by his media aide, Yusuph Olaniyonu, Tuesday evening, Mr. Saraki said he was singled out for prosecution because of his position as the Senate President – an apparent reference to the controversy over his election as leader of the Senate.
In the statement, Mr. Saraki said he previously refused to appear before the tribunal because he was exploring the “opportunity to defend (his) fundamental human rights in other courts”.
“As I stated while taking the plea in the case, I reiterate my belief that the only reason while I am going through this trial is because I am Senate President. If I were to be just a Senator, I doubt if anybody will be interested in the asset declaration form I filled over twelve years ago,” he said.
The statement repeated a claim he made at the tribunal earlier Tuesday that trial did not follow due process.
“This belief stems from the fact that Section 3 (d) of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act provides that if there is a breach or non-compliance with any section of the law, the person involved should be given the opportunity to either admit or deny and that in the case of a written admission, no reference to the tribunal shall be necessary,” he said.
Read More: premiumtimesng
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

0 comments: